End the Quota
What is the immigration detention bed quota?
Congressional appropriations language on the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) detention budget states that "funding made available under this heading shall maintain a level of not less than 34,000 detention beds." The immigration detention bed quota requires ICE to lock-up an average of 34,000 immigrants in detention at any given time - close to half a million immigrants annually - in a network of over 250 county and state jails, private prisons and federal facilities.
Here are 6 things you can do NOW to help End The Quota:
2 Learn about the detention bed quota and hold educational events, community forums or teach-ins about the immigration detention system and the impact of the 34,000 quota on our communities. For educational materials and resources go here.
3 Call and/or visit your members of Congress and ask them to eliminate the immigration detention bed quota from the FY 2016 appropriations bill. For End The Quota advocacy materials go here.
4 Organize an action, or vigil outside a detention center, ICE office or congressional member’s office. Contact amartinez [at] detentionwatchnetwork [dot] org for support.
5 Write an op-ed or letter to the editor about the impact of the quota in your community. For sample talking points go here.
- End the Immigration Detention Bed Quota Narrative from Detention Watch Network (DWN)
- DWN's End the Quota infographic on PDF here and JPEG here
- Recording of the 34,000 immigrant detention quota webinar and power point presentation
- Congress' Costly Detention Quota infographs from Center for American Progress
- LGBTQ Rights and the Immigration Detention Bed Quota twitter chat
- Immigration Detention Bed Quota Timeline from the National Immigrant Justice Center (NIJC)
- Op-Ed: Immigration detention quotas must be stopped, by Silky Shah
- Conversation about the bed quota on WBAI's War on Immigrants Report
- One pager backgrounder on the immigration detention bed quota
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, AILA's Take on the Detention Bed Quota
- National Immigrant Justice Center, Eliminate the Bed Quota
- Links to media coverage on the bed quota
- CIVIC's video, 34,000 Sold: How human rights are traded for profit in the United States
Schedule a meeting with your Senators and Representative
End The Quota legislative toolkit, which includes how to set-up a meeting with your member of Congress and tips and talking points on the bed quota.
To leave behind after your meetings with Members of Congress:
- Bed Quota 101
- One pager immigration detention backgrounder
- Factsheet: Bed Quota Impact on Women and Families
- The Private Prison Industry and the Immigrant Detention Quota
Tell us how it went. We need your help in tracking which Members of Congress will help us end the quota!
Please contact us at campaign [at] detentionwatchnetwork [dot] org for advocacy support.