Raising awareness and building power to effect change
Detention Watch Network (DWN) members are organizing around the country to demand an end to immigration detention through local and national campaigns. DWN works to support member campaigns through information sharing, strategy development, public education and communications.
Support DWN member campaigns or consider organizing an event in your community to raise awareness about the inhumane and unjust immigration detention system.
Featured Member Campaigns
- #ShutDownEtowah: The Shut Down Etowah Campaign is made up of individuals organizations based in Alabama and across the country that are committed to ending the human rights abuses at the Etowah County Detention Center.
- Georgia Detention Watch: Campaign to shut down the Stewart Detention Center in Lumpkin, Georgia #ShutDownStewart
- NWDC Resistance: Campaign to shut down the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, Washington
Connect to a DWN member and find out more about the work that members are doing.
Organize in your Community
- Visit a Detention Center Near You
Visit your local detention center to learn from someone who is directly impacted by the immigration detention system.
- Coordinate a Teach-in, Workshop, Presentation or Film Screening
These events are a great way to educate your community on immigration detention while recruiting people to become more active on the issue.
- Organize a Rally, March or Vigil
Call attention to the issue in a public space to engage more members of your community.
- ICE Death Watch: An Advocacy & Organizing Toolkit
- Using ICE Contracts & Inspections to End Abusive Detention: An Advocacy & Organizing Toolkit
- Detention Watch Network Visitation Guide
A step-by-step guide, drawn from our members’ accumulated experience and expertise on detention visitation.
- If you’re a DWN member, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for support on your activities and campaigns efforts.