Welcome to the DWN Listserve!
The purpose of the DWN Listserve is to facilitate communication and the exchange of information and ideas among members and supporters of the Network. It is not a forum to post general immigration information or articles; rather, we want to focus our attention on communication related to specific detention and deportation concerns and making one another aware of upcoming events relating to the work of the Network, such as conference calls, meetings, conferences, etc.
The Listserve will also provide a critical forum for gaining a better understanding of the national detention and deportation landscape.
How to Join
To join, you must register online:
The following is a description and list of instructions on how to use the Listserve, which will hopefully answer most of your questions.
How to Post to the Listserve
This is an unmoderated Listserve and you are free to post directly to the list without going through a DWN list moderator. When emailing to the Listserve you will only need to include the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
When emailing the Listserve, please do not include numerous email addresses in the To: field, our server will not allow it to go through. When you need to send an email to numerous email addresses, please use the CC: and BCC: fields. If you use the BCC: field, this will prevent the email addresses from cluttering up the message.
Who Can and Cannot Post
Only email addresses that have already been subscribed to the Listserve can post. If you have multiple email addresses, you will only be able to post from the email address that you have originally submitted. If you wish to include other email addresses, or if you change your email address, please email email@example.com to update your account. You can also log onto your Listserve account to change your address.
Note: if you change your address from your Listserve account, you will receive a confirmation email at the new address. You must confirm the new address within three days or the information will be discarded.
Everyone who joins the Listserve is given a password. If you joined a while ago and do not have your password information, you can go to https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/listinfo/dwn.
Under “DWN Subscribers: Account Management” you can access your account by entering your email address.
You Can Also Change Your Listserve Settings
- Mail Delivery (Vacation) Option allows you to stop receiving emails from the Listserve, yet stay subscribed. This is helpful if you go out of town and want to stop Listserve emails from flooding your inbox.
- Digest Mode Option allows you to receive Listserve emails in one or two big bundles. Instead of receiving the emails individually, you will get them condensed in this format. Note: If you use this option, you will have to follow a link each time to open up attachments. This is a slight inconvenience to using this option.
- MIME or Plain Text Digest Option allows you to receive your digest in MIME format instead of plain text. Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) is the format that most internet email uses. Not all mail readers accept MIME formatting, but it is preferable if yours does.
You can also change whether or not you want to receive a copy of your own posts, receive a confirmation email of your post, receive a monthly password reminder, conceal your email address from the subscriber list, and avoid duplicates copies of messages.
Excessive Bounces and Automatic Disabling
When the server receives too many bounces from your account, it will automatically disable your account. After a while, it will automatically unsubscribe you from the Listserve. You will receive a notice from firstname.lastname@example.org that your account has been disabled or unsubscribed. In order to re-subscribe, simply email email@example.com and ask to be re-subscribed to the Listserve.
To avoid excessive bounces, please choose the Mail Delivery (Vacation) Option if you are out town and disable your email account. If you change your email address, please make the appropriate changes either through your Listserve account, or through emailing firstname.lastname@example.org of the changes.
Outlook Filtering Options To Manage DWN Listserve Emails
If you do not wish to receive the daily digest option, but find it difficult to manage the amount of emails you receive from the Listserve, we recommend that you set up a special folder for DWN emails.
If you use Microsoft Outlook, you can create a rule in Outlook by following these instructions (other mail management programs should have similar options):
- Click on Tools and select Rules and Alerts. A window pops up with two tabs that say E-mail Rules and Manage Alerts. Click on the E-mail Rules and then click on New Rule. Another window will pop-up and click on “Start from a Black Rule.”
- Under Step 1 click on “Check messages when they arrive.” Then click on Next.
- Under Step 1 scroll down and select “with specific words in the recipient’s address,” and select “with specific words in the message header.” Under Step 2 click on both the “specific words” and type in email@example.com click Add and type in DWN@lists.detentionwatchnetwork.org. Now click Next.
- Under Step 1 select “move it to the specified folder.” Under Step 2 click on “specified” and select which folder you want your Listserve email to go into. If you want to create a new folder click on New… and type “DWN Listserve” under the Name section and select where in your inbox you want to locate it. Click OK and then again OK. Now, click Next.
- If you want to select any exceptions you can. Scroll through the list of exceptions in Step 1 and select. Then give each exception under Step 2 definition by clicking on it. Click DETENTION WATCH NETWORK EXPOSE AND CLOSE REPORTS ON 10 OF THE WORST IMMIGRANT PRISONS IN THE US.
Example: One exemption could be emails that are marked as high importance.
- Under Step 1 specify a name for the rule. You can type in “DWN Listserve.” Under Step 2 select “Turn on this rule,” and on “Run this rule now on messages already in my ‘Inbox’” if you choose to do so. Click on Finish.
- Your new rule should appear checked under the Rule category and the Rule description should look like follows:
Apply this rule after the message arrives with ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ or ‘DWN@lists.detentionwatchnetwork.org’ in the recipient’s address
and with ‘email@example.com’ or ‘DWN@lists.detentionwatchnetwork.org’ in the message header
and on this machine only move it to the DWN Listserve folder
- Click on Apply and then click on OK.
If you have any questions about using the Listserve, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can better assist you.